Blue Station: Maya Collins

Maya was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) in 2011 when she was 7 years old. She had her first bone marrow transplant in September of 2011 and went into remission. In May of 2012, she relapsed and needed a second transplant. Both of these required 6 months stays in Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. All was then wonderful for 4 years until June of 2016 when she learned that her cancer had once again come back. In August of 2016 Maya and her mom traveled to St. Jude, in Memphis, so Maya could receive a third transplant as part of a clinical trial. Unfortunately, Maya never fully recovered, and on October 3, 2017 Maya passed away due to complications from her treatment. Maya was the strongest, bravest girl there is; her fight was inspirational.

Green Station: Ella Boynton

Ella was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) in May 2013, one week before her second birthday. Throughout her 26 month treatment, Ella endured several bone marrow aspirations, many spinal taps, blood and platelet transfusions, numerous hospital stays, and a variety of chemotherapy and other medications. Through it all, Ella was a brave and strong little girl. She went into remission soon after starting her treatment and continues to be in remission. She now gets her blood count checked every 6 months and is proud to be a survivor! Ella is in the second grade at MECC and loves to read, swim, and play the piano.

Red Station: Ben Terribilini

Ben Terribilini was in 6th grade at Mason Intermediate when he started feeling sick. He just couldn't shake his cold symptoms. Then one day he woke up with a weird rash on his arm and back, so his mom took him to the doctor. It turned out that the rash was really bruising from his sheets - his blood cells were going crazy and making him bruise incredibly easy. Blood tests showed he had T-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). He went to the hospital that day and stayed there almost every day for the next 6 months. Ben had two rounds of chemotherapy which made him lose his hair, gain weight, have bad mood swings, be violently ill, and still didn't get rid of the Leukemia. It was decided that his best option was to get a bone marrow transplant. Luckily his oldest brother Josh was a perfect match. To prepare for the transplant, Ben had to go through huge doses of chemo and total body irradiation, which made him extremely sick and unable to eat. The actual transplant was easy, like a blood transfusion. It took a couple of weeks to see if the stem cells from his brother were working though. Meanwhile Ben was the sickest he's ever been. Eventually, he started improving and was well enough to go home. Now it's been 3.5 years since his bone marrow transplant and he hasn't had to spend another night in the hospital, which amazes his doctors. He's doing great!

Yellow Station: Maeryn Kelly

On Father’s Day 2016, Maeryn was playing with some neighbor kids and got hit in the knee pretty hard. She got x-rays at urgent care and suspected a fracture that immobilized her leg. The next day, her family took her to an orthopaedist who reviewed the films, did NOT see a fracture, but told her to continue working with the physical therapist because Osgood-Slatter did seem probable. After several weeks of PT with no improvement and continued pain, Maeryn went for a second ortho consult, where she was referred directly to Cincinnati Children’s for suspected leukemia. They did not leave the hospital for 37 days. Maeryn has received exceptional care. Her family saw improvement immediately from the moment Maeryn started cancer treatment. She began walking without crutches within the first week. Her mother says that since you can’t SEE cancer, it was hard for her to believe that her daughter had it until she started to see the treatment really work. Maeryn is definitely beating it! She’s tolerated the chemo really well, for the most part. She’s experienced minimal nausea and pain. Her family has been well prepared for possible side effects so they haven't felt like anything has really shocked them. After all, hearing cancer was a big enough shock. The support they've had from the hospital, school, friends, family and the community has been astounding. Her mother says that the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is was never a club she ever thought she'd join, but now that she's here, she realizes how big the club is "and they give great big hugs right when you need them"!

Register by Midnight 11/9 to save $5 from registration at the door!